The Rehabilitation, Regeneration and Reintegration (RRR) Unit of the Correctional Service Solomon Islands (CSSI) has recently rolled out awareness talks on the Yellow Ribbon Project (YRP) to the Dreamcast Theatre and Chung Wah School teachers and students after a long suspension due to the COVID-19 pandemic faced.
The ultimate goal of YRP is to “unlock the second prison” for ex-offenders. This happens through A-A-A, and that is; Creating Awareness-Giving them a sense of hope and care. Generating Acceptance-Giving them a sense of love and forgiveness and Inspiring Actions-Giving them a sense of purpose and unity.
Senior Sergeant Robert Naaman highlighted what a second prison really is. Second prison is when ex-offenders are stigmatized, socially and psychologically rejected by their family and community, treated unfairly, unjustly when they are released and caught up in a negative environment.
Speaking during the presentation, Senior Sergeant Naaman urged the government, stakeholders, NGO’s, schools, communities, society, churches and individuals to work together with the YRP team to ensure inmates are not locked up in the second prison when they are released from prison.
He reiterated that CSSI is the first prison which provided 80% of Rehabilitation activities to offenders across all Correctional Centres in the country. The remaining 20% of Rehabilitation is vested upon the government, stakeholders, schools, NGO’s communities, society, churches, families, friends and individuals to give inmates a safe, secure and prosperous Solomon Islands and reduction in recidivism and crimes committed.
YRP Chairman Deputy Director RRR Mr Jimmy Aega thanked Chung Wah School Principal, Staff, Students and Dreamcast Theatre Team Leader for accepting Correctional Service RRR unit to present the Yellow Ribbon Project educational awareness.