About The Ministry of Mines, Energy & Rural Electrification
The Ministry of Mines, Energy & Rural Electrification (MME&RE) is a key Government Ministry responsible for developing the minerals sector, petroleum, energy, water resources and rural electrification.
The Ministry issues licenses for exploration and exploitation of identified tenements as well as for hydrocarbon commercial development. They are also responsible for State Owned Enterprises (SOEs), namely Solomon Power and Solomon Water.
Minister for Mines, Energy & Rural Electrification
Hon. Bradley Tovosia
Welcome to The Ministry of Mines, Energy & Rural Electrification.
Our Mission is to develop the natural renewable and non-renewable resources sustainably for the social and economic advancement of the people of the Solomon Islands.
Ministry services include:
- Undertake an assessment of the current regulatory systems with anticipated recommendations for improvement.
- Undertake reviews of certain Acts/Legislation and associated regulations in close collaboration with the Attorney Generals Chamber and other line Ministries.
- Implement National Mineral Policies, Energy Policy, and other policies applicable under mandated function of the ministry.
- Develop a computerized mining registry and data system.
- Actively encourage co-operation between investors and resource owners to facilitate the sustainable exploration and harvesting of minerals and hydrocarbon resources in the country.
- Develop clear, sound and predictable licensing criteria with clear penalties for breaches and ensure that a license can only be granted after access, lease, environmental impact assessment, social study, rehabilitation and mining agreements have been fully signed.
- Explore and develop mechanisms to increase the financial rewards accruing to resource owners from large mineral and hydrocarbon extractive developments.
To achieve its mission, the Ministry delivers services through its five (5) Divisions.
Licenses and Permits
Divisions and Departments
The Ministry of Mines, Energy and Rural Electrification (MME&RE) has the following Divisions and Departments under its umbrella. You will find quick information about each and their contact details if required.
Geological Survey Division
The Geological Survey Division is responsible for the Geological Mapping Section, Publication, GeoChemical Laboratory, Seismological Section, Petrological Section and GIS.
The Mines Division is responsible for the Tenement Section, Inspectorate Section and Economic Geology Section.
Water Resources Division
The Water Resources Division is responsible for the Directorate Office, Hydrological Unit and Drilling Section.
The Petroleum Division is responsible for the Directorate Office and Petroleum Section.
The Energy Division is responsible for the Ozone Unit, Energy Efficiency and Conservation, Renewable Energy, Petroleum and Power Unit.
Documents and Links
- Customs & Excise Division
- Ministry of Commerce, Industry, Labour and Immigration
- Ministry of Environment, Climate Change, Disaster Management and Meteorology
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and External Trade
- Office of the Auditor General
State Owned Enterprises
International Organisations, Programs and Initiatives
- The UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- UN Convention on the Law of the Sea
- Nuclear Test Ban Treaty
- Montreal Protocol and its Subsequent Amendments
- Pacific Islands Framework for Energy Security in the Pacific
- Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC)
- Scaling up Renewable Energy Program (SREP) under the World Bank administered Climate Investment Fund (CIF)
- SIDS DOCK Programs
- International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
Here you will find the direct contact details for relevant staff at The Ministry of Mines, Energy and Rural Electrification (MME&RE). Please feel free to get in touch should you have any queries you wish to discuss.
|Main Office||(+677) 21522|
|Permanent Secretary||(+677) 21522|
|Under Secretary||(+677) 21522 EXT 226|
|Human Resources Manager||(+677) 21522 EXT 226|
|Principal Admin Officer||(+677) 21522 EXT 233|
|Mines Division||(+677) 21522|
|Geological Survey Division||(+677) 21522|
|Water Resources Division||(+677) 21522|
|Petroleum Division||(+677) 21522|
|Energy Division||(+677) 21522|
|Senior Admin||(+677) 21522 EXT 233|
|Financial Controller||(+677) 21522 229|
|Senior Accountant||(+677) 21522 EXT 227|
If you’re in the Solomon Islands and wish to visit us, our office location is provided below for your convenience. We look forward to welcoming you.