About the Solomon Islands National Museum
The Solomon Islands National Museum was officially established as a cultural institution in 1969, although its history and development can be traced back to the early 1950s. It is one of the oldest Government institutions in the country.
Our mission as a culture and heritage institution is; to collect, preserve, protect, safeguard, record, develop and promote the tangible and intangible cultural heritage of the Solomon Islands.
- Represent the common interests and concerns of the people, museums and cultural centres in the Solomon Islands.
- Establish and develop linkages with professionals and institutions in support of cultural heritage management and preservation.
- Encourage community involvement in the vision of the Solomon Islands National Museum through consultation, education and awareness activities.
- Enhance human resources development through education, training and capacity development.
- Promote ethics, standards and stewardship.
- Advise and work with Governments and Non-Government Organisations in matters relating to museums and cultural centres.
- Facilitate the protection, restitution and repatriation of tangible and intangible cultural property.
- Promote sustainable development and support cultural tourism and creative industries.
- Develop appropriate cultural infrastructures and capacity for institutional growth and development.
- Provide excellent museum services to the public.
Documents and Links
Here you will find the direct contact details for relevant staff at the National Museum. Please feel free to get in touch should you have any queries you wish to discuss.
|Receptionist||20137 / 20138 EXT 200|
|Deputy Director||20137 / 20138 EXT 203|
|Ethnologist / Curator||20137 / 20138 EXT 205|
|Conservator||20137 / 20138 EXT 202|
|Auditorium Manager||20137 / 20138 EXT 204|
|Audio Visual / Photographer||20137 / 20138 EXT 201|
If you’re in the Solomon Islands and wish to visit us, our office location is provided below for your convenience. We look forward to welcoming you.