About the Ministry of Women, Youth, Children & Family Affairs
The Ministry of Women, Youth, Children & Family Affairs (MWYCFA) is committed to upholding, promoting, protecting and fulfilling the rights of women, youths, children and families. This is achieved through effective partnerships, inclusiveness, fairness and creating equal opportunities to advance the wellbeing of the Solomon Island people.
Minister of Women, Youth, Children & Family Affairs
Hon. Freda Rotutafi Rangirei
Welcome to the Ministry of Women, Youth, Children and Family Affairs.
Our Mission is to develop a Solomon Islands that is peaceful, productive, and prosperous; and one that embraces and honours diversity, sustainable futures, justice and equality for all.
Ministry services include:
- Advancing gender equality and enhancing women’s development by ensuring the active contribution and meaningful participation of both Solomon Islands women and men in all spheres and at all levels of development and decision-making.
- Ending all forms of violence against women with the supportive leadership of the Solomon Islands Government. This is done through advocacy at local, provincial, national, regional and international levels from all sectors including community and political leaders as well as the media and civil society.
- Promoting the development of Solomon Island Youths to achieve their full potential via a relevant range of programs and activities. This enhances their proficiency to make well-informed decisions regarding their future roles and responsibilities in the political, social and economic development of the Solomon Islands.
- Protecting the development of our children’s rights and interests, regardless of age, gender, religion, ethnicity or cultural background. This is to ensure that these rights are consistently acknowledged and promoted so that children grow into responsible citizens.
- Developing and managing MWYCFA’s professional and organizational potentials to achieve the above.
To achieve its mission, the Ministry delivers services through its six (6) Divisions.
Victim Support and Counselling
Divisions and Departments
The Ministry of Women, Youth, Children and Family Affairs has the following Divisions under its umbrella. You can readily access information about each division and their contact details, if required.
Corporate Services Division
The Corporate Services Division principally covers management, administration and finance. The division is headed by the Permanent Secretary and assisted by the Under Secretary.
Research, Policy, Planning and Information Division
The Research, Policy, Planning & Information Division (RPPID) supports the other Divisions in terms of ‘Information-education-communications’ (IEC), policy, planning, coordination and monitoring.
Women’s Development Division
The Women’s Development Division collaborates with stakeholders to implement, review/formulate and coordinate national policies related to women and gender along with its international commitments, especially the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW).
Youth Development Division
The Youth Development Division manages the Solomon Island Government’s priorities for Youth Development and Empowerment in the country.
Children’s Development Division
The Children’s Development Division oversees the development and implementation of the National Children’s Policy and coordinates the implementation of the United National Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) in partnership with its stakeholders.
Family Affairs Division
The Family Affairs Division is a newly established division.
Documents and Links
- 2017 Annual Report
- Family Protection Act 2014
- Women Peace and Security National Action Plan 2017-2020
- National Policy to Eliminate Violence Against Women and Girls 2016-2020
- National Gender Equality and Women’s Development Policy 2016-2020
- A National Strategy for the Economic Empowerment of Women and Girls
- Strategic Framework for Youth Development and Empowerment in Solomon Islands
- Solomon Islands National Youth Policy 2017-2030
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women
- Corporate Plan 2015 – 2018
- Convention on the Rights of the Child
Here you will find the direct contact details for relevant staff at The Ministry of Women, Youth, Children and Family Affairs. Please feel free to get in touch should you have any queries you wish to discuss.
|Front Desk/ Registry – Michael Samani||Phone: 23544 Fax: 23534|
|Communications Officer – Mary Kivo||23544|
|Permanent Secretary – Dr Cedric Alependava||23547|
|Under Secretary – Aaron Pitaqae||23544|
|Executive Personal Secretary – Josephine Mae||23544|
|Human Resources Manager – Eddie Aife||23544|
|Financial Controller – Malcolm Mataifo||23544|
|Director of Research, Policy, Planning and Information – Aaron Pitaqae (Supervising)||23544|
|Director of Women Development Division – Vaela Ngai||23544|
|Director for the Children’s Development Division – Goldie Lusi||23544|
|Director of Youth Development Division – Andre Tipoki||23544|
|Protection & Gender Social Inclusion Officer – Zamira Rua||23544|
If you’re in the Solomon Islands and wish to visit us, our office location is provided below for your convenience. We look forward to welcoming you.