About the Attorney General’s Chambers
The Attorney General of the Solomon Islands is the Principal Legal Adviser to the Government. The position is established under the Solomon Islands Constitution (Section 42) and is sometimes referred to as a Constitutional Office or Post.
Unlike many other countries or legal jurisdictions, the Attorney General of the Solomon Islands is a public officer and is not a Politician or Minister of the Crown.
The Attorney General’s Chambers has two divisions. The Litigation Division is headed by the Solicitor General who is responsible for representing the Government in court. The other division is the Legislative Drafting Division headed by the Legal Draftsperson. This division is responsible for drafting new laws or amendments to existing ones.
The Attorney General, through the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) is mandated to:
- Provide legal advice to Government Departments and Ministries usually in response to questions/queries on legal matters forwarded to the Chambers from the respective Permanent Secretaries of the Ministries.
- Provide legal representation to Government Departments and Ministries ranging from eviction orders to constitutional matters.
- Provide legislative drafting services to the Government in the formulation of new bills, amendments to existing legislation and the drafting of other statutory instruments.
Gazettes and Legislation
- Gazettes as published
- Indexes to Gazettes and Legislation
- Annual Indexes of Gazette Notices and Legal Notices
- Annual Gazettes and Supplements
- Solomon Islands Index of Acts (.xlsx)
- Solomon Islands Index of Subsidiary Legislation
- Handbook for Legislative Drafting
Legal Advice for Ministries
Here you will find the direct contact details for relevant staff at the Attorney General’s Chambers. Please feel free to get in touch should you have any queries you wish to discuss.
|Headquarters||(+677) 24657 / 22223|
|Office||(+677) 28395 / 28396 / 28397|
If you’re in the Solomon Islands and wish to visit us, our office location is provided below for your convenience. We look forward to welcoming you.